211-7885 6th St. Burnaby, BC, V3N 2S2
(778) 859-5403
(778) 859-5403 info@clearviewcounselling.ca

Pricing Plans

Individual Session

Individual Sessions are 50 minutes

Individual Session *Extended

Extended Sessions are 80 minutes

Save 19%
Couples and Family Sessions

Couples and Family Sessions start at 50 minutes

Educational Workshops- Self-Care
Self-Care & Resiliency: education on the role of individuals taking care of their own health and wellness, resiliency and how to deal and overcome difficult situations, grief and loss in the work place
Educational Workshop - Addiction
Addiction: education on addiction, signs and symptoms, mental health, recovery, relapse prevention, where to go for support, and resources.
Educational Workshop - Mental Health 101
Mental Health 101:

Mental health, mental illness, understanding signs and symptoms, overcoming stigma, where to go for support, how to help yourself and your colleagues.

Questions & Concerns

What's the difference between a counsellor, a psychologist, and a psychiatrist?

This is one of the most commonly asked questions. All three of these mental health professions are used to assist individuals with mental health issues and/or concerns. The primary differences are in their level of education and what they are qualified to do.

Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCC) and Certified Clinical Counsellors (CCC)   will have a Masters degree (MA, MEd, MC) and are qualified to assess and treat mental health concerns and diagnoses. Counsellor fees are generally lower than psychologist and psychiatrist fees. They are not able to prescribe medications.

In BC, a RCC or CCC has a Master’s degree, has met specific eligibility criteria, and has undergone specific supervision and clinical hour requirements to become registered. They also have strict guidelines for professional and ethical behaviour.   The term “counsellor” is not yet protected in Canada. This means that anyone can call themselves a counsellor without having the expertise that a RCC or CCC has. Make sure to ask your counsellor for their credentials to ensure the most qualified service. 

Psychologists in BC will have a doctoral degree (PhD, PsyD, or EdD) and are qualified to assess, treat, and diagnose mental health concerns. They are not able to prescribe medications.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors (MD) who are qualified to assess, treat, and diagnose mental health concerns. They may also prescribe medication.

I can usually handle my own problems, do I actually need counselling?

Even though you usually handle your own problems and many other difficulties you have faced, there is nothing wrong with seeking out extra support when you need it. Speaking to a counsellor removes the bias that comes with talking to friends or family about your concerns. It can also relieve conflict that may arise from differences in opinion or inability to help with coping.

Everyone goes through challenging situations in life and it shows a great deal of courage and self-awareness to recognize the need for additional support.

Ask yourself if whatever you are going through in this moment interferes with your relationships, motivation, ability to sleep, increase or decrease in appetite, overwhelming feelings, lack of feeling in control, or simply feeling stuck. You may also be going through a transition (divorce, birth of a child, loss, new job) in life which can also cause an increase in any of these symptoms.

Do I need a referral from my doctor?

No, you do not need a referral to see a counsellor. However, if you are eligible for counselling services through ICBC, a doctors note or referral is required.

You may be required to pay out of pocket since counselling fees are not covered under the  BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). However, many extended health plans plans do include counselling coverage and will reimburse you for counselling visits. Make sure you call your insurance provider to see what you are covered for.

How can counselling help me?

Counselling offers many benefits. This includes greater self-awareness, increased self-esteem, personal growth, clarity to resolve issues and empowerment.

Counsellors provide a supportive, non-judgemental environment where you can learn to problem solve, challenge negative thinking patterns, and enhance coping skills for issues such as depression, anxiety, grief and trauma, among other concerns.

Counsellors provide a fresh perspective on issues and can support you in focusing on solutions. The benefits from therapy will also depend on your goals and how well you put into practice what you have learned.

What is involved in counselling?

Counselling will vary for everyone, since each person is unique and comes with different issues and goals. How your session is structured will depend on your preference and what works best for you.

Generally, your counsellor will ask you to discuss the current reason you are seeking support, your personal history related to the issue, and what you would like to achieve from your time together. Setting goals and working towards them is an important way to make progress. Depending on your specific needs, you may see your counsellor for a few sessions for a specific issue, or longer-term to deal with more challenging issues, changing patterns, and personal development.

How long does counselling take?

The length of counselling will depend on what you are looking to achieve, or your goals. Counselling can range in number of sessions. Generally, clients will book between 6-12 sessions to develop lasting changes. Some factors that may influence the length of time in counselling includes the issues and concerns you are dealing with, your commitment to change, financial restraints, and funding/coverage of sessions by your extended health plan, ICBC, or CVAP.

Are you registered with the Crime Victim Assistance Program (CVAP)?

Yes, I am an approved Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) with the CVAP program. For more information on this program, please see the following link:   https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/criminal-justice/bcs-criminal-justice-system/if-you-are-a-victim-of-a-crime/victim-of-crime/financial-assistance-benefits

Access to the online application is in the following link:   https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/law-crime-and-justice/criminal-justice/bc-criminal-justice-system/if-victim/publications/cvap-victim-application.pdf